Wednesday, June 2, 2010

"South of Broad" by Pat Conroy

I just finished "South of Broad," the first book I've read by Pat Conroy.  I loved it!  It takes place in Charleston, SC, hence the name, referring to Broad Street in the city itself.  I chose this book because we were taking a trip to Charleston this past month and reading a book referring to many of the places there made me feel like I knew the city already myself.  


This was a sweeping novel that takes place over a 20 year time period starting in the summer of 1969.  You come to know a group of misfit high school seniors as told from the perspective of one of them, Leo King.  Leo is an endearing every man type of character that allows all readers to relate to him and see how he can have such varying relationships with his group of very close friends.  This story involves many story-lines crucial to time itself, ie racial integration and the AIDS epidemic.  The story itself ends in the summer of 1989 when Hurricane Hugo ravaged Charleston and it becomes a key part of the novel. 


I would highly recommend this book, I can guarantee you will be hooked within the first few pages and it has many twists and turns which you won't even see coming.  You will get to know the characters so well it will be a story you don't want to end.  I think I've found a new favorite author!

No comments:

Post a Comment